Our progressive social service agency seeks a qualified Staff Attorney for our new Civil Legal Services Program. The Attorney will provide high-quality trauma informed legal representation for victims of domestic and sexual violence, including legal advice and counseling on civil matters including, but not limited to, family and matrimonial law, immigration and Title IX proceedings. The person in this position will work as part of a team to ensure that victims receive appropriate legal services and consult with agency staff on civil legal matters. This position and program are new to the agency with the goal of increasing access to quality, trauma informed civil representation for victims of abuse in Tompkins County.
The duties of this position include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Provide high-quality trauma informed legal representation to victims of domestic and sexual violence in Family Court matters, matrimonial proceedings, financial/credit issues, immigration and Title IX proceedings. .
- Provide consultations to victims of domestic and sexual violence on civil legal matters as necessary.
- Provide consultations to staff advocates on civil legal matters as necessary.
- Work as part of a team to ensure that victims receive appropriate legal services.
- Make referrals to advocacy services and community resources as appropriate.
- Participate in team problem solving with client services staff to ensure the smooth and effective functioning of programs.
- Act as liaison for the Crime Victims Legal Network through Office of Victim Services.
- Maintain and update knowledge of developments in the legal field related to domestic and sexual violence. Identify other legal needs for future program development.
To learn more about this position, click here.