Thank you for your interest in working at the Advocacy Center. We are currently hiring for the position of Domestic Violence Shelter Advocate. Please see the following jop description for more information. If you are intersted in applying please email a cover letter and resume as separate attachements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please have all documents in MS word or PDF format. We look forward to hearing from you!
Position: Counselor-Advocate – Domestic Violence Shelter – Full Time
Salary: $15.79/hr with generous benefits
Schedule: Four days during the M-F work week and one weekend day
Start Date: ASAP
Residential Requirement: must live within 30-minute drive of Cayuga Medical Center
Our progressive social service agency seeks a Counselor-Advocate to provide support,
advocacy and case management services to residents in our nine-bed confidential safe house
as well as to non-residential domestic violence clients. This position provides valuable service
to vulnerable populations. Shelter residents and their children need trauma informed assistance
with legal issues, social services, finding safe housing, employment and safety planning. The
person in this position will work independently and as a member of our client services team.
Participation in paid rotation of after-hours on-call (weeknight, weekend, and holiday), with other
client services staff is required. After-hours on-call involves responding to calls on our 24 hour
hotline from community members or professionals who need help regarding sexual assault,
child sexual abuse and domestic violence.
The Advocacy Center of Tompkins County, located in Ithaca, NY,
is an organization whose roots are based in feminism, social change, and victim rights. We have
been providing services to survivors of domestic violence since 1977, child sexual abuse since
1982 and adult sexual assault since 2003.
We are proud of our workplace culture. We are dedicated professionals with a strong work ethic
and we also promote self care and wellness wherever possible because we genuinely value
healthy work/life balance. We combine seriousness of purpose and commitment to our mission
with a sense of kindness and humor toward one another.
Excellent Benefits Package (prorated based on start date):
$6,500 annually toward our cafeteria benefits program (includes medical and dental insurance
or expense reimbursements); generous time off (2 weeks vacation the first year increasing
thereafter, 10-12 paid holidays, 5 personal days, sick days); and retirement contribution after 3
years of employment.
Please review qualifications and submit two separate documents (in MS Word or
PDF format only): 1. cover letter and 2. resume Please submit as two separate attachments to
an email to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is
● One year of counseling/advocacy experience in a human services setting
● Ability to work independently as well as in a team, with a willingness to appreciate
different points of view and problem-solve in a constructive manner.
● Sensitivity to the impact of sexual and domestic violence in diverse and marginalized
communities and the ability to articulate these concerns in a sensitive and respectful
● Commitment to social justice issues
● Good communication, organizational and time management skills
● Ability to establish and maintain effective professional working relationships
● Flexible schedule – must be able to work some after-hours evenings, weekends and
● Reliable car, valid NYS license and clean driving record
● Knowledge of domestic violence, sexual assault issues and community & legal systems
● Experience working in a shelter setting
● Bilingual and/or people of color strongly encouraged to apply
● Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and familiarity with Google’s G Suite
● Associate’s or BA in social work or related field desired