Domestic/Dating Violence
What is Domestic Violence?
Why Do Victims Stay?
Teen Dating Violence
Planning for Your Safety
My Safety Plan
What is an Order of Protection?
Youth Sexual Abuse
Adult Sexual Assault
Adult Sexual support
Prevention Services
Contact Us

For help or information call: 607 277 5000
Escape to GoogleServices


My Safety Plan

Reduce your risk

No one who is being abused has control over their partner's violence, but you can find ways to reduce your risk of harm. This safety plan is a tool to help you think of ways to stay safe.

If you cannot find a safe place to keep a plan that you write down maybe you can ask a friend to keep a copy for you. It is still important to make a plan even if you cannot write it down.

Remember that in an emergency you can always call 911.

I can get help

  • I can tell _________________ about the abuse and ask them to call the police if they hear noises coming from my house.
  • I can teach my children how to call the police by calling 911. I will make sure my children know our address and telephone number.
  • I can teach my children to go ______________ (to a neighbor's, a business, etc.) if they cannot use the phone.

I can plan

  • If my partner and I are having a fight, I will try to move to a safer place such as _______________. I will try not to fight in the bathroom, kitchen, or in rooms with only one way out.

I can leave

  • If I decide to leave I will ________________________. I will practice how to get out safely: What doors, windows, elevators or fire escapes could I use?
  • I can keep my wallet and car keys ready and put them ________________ so I can leave quickly.
  • I will keep copies of my important papers or extra keys at ________________.
  • If I have to leave my home, I will go _______________. If I cannot go to that place I can go _______________.
  • The Advocacy Center hotline number is 277-5000. I can call if I need a safe place for me and my children. I can call the hotline collect if I am at a pay phone.

Planning to leave

  • I will call the Advocacy Center and get help making my plans. The hotline number is 277-5000.
  • I will leave money and an extra set of keys with _____________ so I can leave quickly.
  • I will keep copies of important papers or keys at _________________.
  • I will keep telephone numbers and money for phone calls with me.
  • I can leave my pets with _______________.
  • I will check with _______________ and _______________ to see who would let me stay with them or let me borrow some money.
  • I can practice how to get out of my home quickly. I can practice it with the children.
  • Other things I can do to help me leave:_________________________________________

After I leave

  • I can change the locks on my doors and windows. I can call the Advocacy Center if I need help changing my locks.
  • I can get a 911 emergency cell phone from the Advocacy Center.
  • I will teach my children how to use the phone, how to call the police and how to call me collect.
  • I will give the people who take care of my children (school and daycare) a copy of any custody papers and order of protection (if I have one). I will tell people at school and daycare who is allowed to pick up my children.

At work and in public

  • I can tell my boss about what is happening.
  • I can ask _______________ to answer my calls.
  • When leaving work for the day I can ______________.
  • I can change my day around so my partner cannot find me.
  • I can tell my neighbors and other people who are around me that I am no longer with my partner and ask them to call the police if they think my children or I are in danger.

If I have an order of protection

  • I will keep a copy of my order of protection with me in my pocket or in my bag.
  • I will keep a copy at work, my child's school or day care, and with my friends.
  • If I lose my order of protection I can get another copy from the court.
  • If my partner does not follow the order of protection I can call the police and report it.
  • If I have any questions about my order of protection I can call the court, my lawyer or an Advocate at the Advocacy Center.

Things that are helpful to take when leaving

  • Driver's license
  • Children's birth certificates
  • My birth certificate
  • Social Security cards
  • Medical records
  • Money, checkbook
  • ATM card, credit cards
  • Lease, rental agreement
  • Medication
  • Keys for house, car, work
  • Public assistance card
  • Medicaid card
  • Passports, green cards
  • Divorce or custody papers
  • Lease, rental agreement
  • Children's favorite toys
  • Photos or other personal things
  • Copy of important numbers

My emotional health

  • If I am feeling lonely or confused, I can call ______________ , or ______________. I can also call the Advocacy Center hotline at 277-5000.
  • I can take care of my body by getting a checkup with my doctor.
  • If I am worried about my children, I can call ___________________.
  • If I have left my partner, but am thinking about going back to him/her, I will call ______________, or spend time with _____________ before I make a choice.
  • I will tell myself about the best things about being me. They are:
  • If I need help about my drinking or drug use, I can call ____________________.
  • Other things I can do to feel strong are:


Back to the Top

© 2006 The Advocacy Center
Office (Monday - Friday, 9-5): 607 277 3203, 24 Hour Hotline: 607 277 5000
P.O. Box 164 · Ithaca, New York 14851
Design and Programming by Spider Graphics Corporation ®